I'm going to die! Aren't we all? October 2012, my doctor prescribed me Metformin, an anti-diabetic drug. No I'm not diabetic... Yet. But I am smokin' close and I'm only 27.
Most of my life has been a giant weight battle. Sometimes a new drug comes along or a fad diet catches my attention and I bite.
Ephedrine Diet
My first diet was back in the ephedrine days. My boyfriend at the time was telling me about this girl he knew who lost a bunch of weight by simply taking a little red pill. So I had to try it! I wasn't old enough to purchase it but my mom met with the clerk and said they had her permission whether or not she was with me. I took that precious little pill 3 times a day. My diet consisted of bananas, granola bars, and all the water I could stomach. I don't remember ever being home long enough to eat a full meal. I didn't get on the scale so I'm not sure how much I truly lost that time, but one thing's for sure. I could show my belly! Granted I looked like a crackhead my senior year of high school bc my body would shake so bad I was a giant distraction in class. But I...looked good! Then the laws took effect, my drug was yanked from the shelves forcing me to quit a level 3 fat predator addiction cold turkey. I slept for 15 hours at a time waking only to use the bathroom and have my mom call me into school because I wasn't going. But that's another story. The weight slowly came back.
2004 Weight Watchers
My mom was in the same dire straights I am finding myself in today. She was scared and confused for her life and her future. At 247lbs I went to weight watchers. Ill never forget, my first weigh in I lost 7 pounds and mom dropped 16. She started crying. Even though on day one of that diet, we buckled and went on a Taco John's binge, we still kicked butt. Over the course of the next 6 months, I managed to lose 62 pounds and my mom lost 90. We both still had a long way to go. Then we hit a plateau. And we stayed on that plateau for another 6 months. Weight watchers weekly prices started to rise, I moved out, and we both started college. Everything started to disintegrate except our waistlines. 7 years later, here I am.
November 2012
My eyesight blurs in and out. My throat craves water. I have darkening under my arms, back of my neck, and behind my thighs. My bladder won't let me get 30 minutes in at work without running to the bathroom...which is strategically located on a different floor and 2 annoyingly long sets of steps. Going down I was about to burst, coming back up I was gasping for air, I was miserable.
I went to the clinic and they checked my vitals. Surprisingly my blood pressure was normal and my thyroid was perfectly fine. My weight was 254 and my A1C came back 5.8%. My doctor decided to prescribe my Metformin and retested me at a 5.6% A1C. He never said lose weight or eat less sugar. He just warned of the side effects, told me to take walks more often, and said the pill usually results in a little weight loss. I was devastated. With no idea what to do, I kept down the path I was going except with another little pill.
March 8th 2013
3 months later, my doctor claimed he was shocked! Not only had my A1C test remained exactly the same, but I gained 10 pounds! 264. I have a friend who is 1/3 my size. And she's taller than me!
One week prior, I found a video on YouTube about people who drink a cup of water before each meal, a cup during, and a cup after at least 3 times a day. That's all they did. They claim to eat whatever they want. I vaguely remembered a guy I use to work with who drank half his body weight in ounces. He, too, claimed to eat whatever he wanted. Ok so half of my weight is roughly a gallon of water. That first night, I tried a small bowl of chili and I could barely eat half of it, I was stuffed. I was in love!! Doctor approved my water diet and I was set to go!!!
Today!!!
27 year old me wants to go to 11 year old me and force me to not be such a twat in P.E.
Or even 17 year old me. I was almost fit back then. Instead, I continued to be a twat in P.E.
Wait what?....... 38 year old me is at the door about to have a heart attack and is trying to chase me with a butcher knife? Oh! I see! Because I'm being a twat to the elliptical that I can't stay on longer than 3 minutes. Way to go, Nassy Chunk-a-lot.
------
The water thing has went great except my acid reflux is so bad my throat has hurt since my March doctor's appointment.
So I slowed it down a bit by spreading out my water intake a little. Seems to be working a little better. Now to keep the pizza away from me.
My mom's scale read 260 today. This is semi pleasing considering her scale is always higher by a couple of pounds than an accurate read. I like to pretend that the week before my doctors appointment I may have been closer to 270 and lost my "water weight" before my first weigh in.
Future blogs won't typically be this long, I felt I should introduce my weight loss roller coasting drama before the fun and games actually start.



No comments:
Post a Comment